From:
Patricia Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:01:56 -0500

I just returned from 10 days in the US/BVI.  Wonderful trip and I don't
believe I was glutened at all (system was a little funky one day but not bad
enough for me to suspect gluten).

I went on the Windjammer ship "Legacy" and the chef, Strokey from Nevis,
took great care of me.  Rarely did I feel left out, except for the wonderful
bread they bake each day and serve to toast with breakfast, etc.  On the
ship I ate mostly my own GF cereal, eggs, sausage, bacon, omelets and fruit
for breakfast.  Lunch was salads (great Heart of Palm salad), burger with no
roll, fish, rice, veggies, etc.  Dinner was fish or meat, rice or potato,
veggies, etc.  If it sounds bland, it wasn't!  Everything was so tasty -
full of flavor and variety.   One night they had a huge buffet and I was
able to have chicken, roast beef, and red snapper.

On St. Thomas, we stayed at the Marriott and they accommodated me quite
well.  Very pricey though.  I also had nachos at Molly Malone's (bar in Red
Hook) after asking about the chips and toppings.  They tasted great.   We
didn't eat much off site as we were there only a couple of days and I knew
my best bet was likely at the hotel.

St. John - Lime Inn - had a wonderful meal of scallops and shrimp and the
gal knew about gluten intolerance.  I had a tasty burger sans roll at The
Beach Bar and substituted cole slaw for the fries, which were not in a
dedicated fryer.

Tortola - I did a cheeseburger sans roll with slaw again at Pusser's.
Drinks were delicious - if you indulge, have a PainKiller, a mix of rum, OJ,
grapefruit juice and cream of coconut with fresh nutmeg and a cherry.

Normand Island - did not eat off the ship but the food at Willy T's smelled
wonderful and a poster told me they accommodated them well.

Jost van Dyke - ate fries (no other fried products in the oil - yea) and a
piece of fish without roll at Ivan's, a tiny bar on the beach.

Many lunchtime places looked to have little other than burgers and the like
so I tended to stick to that/fish without the bread and had either side
salad where available or cole slaw.

I often had a piece of PB bread in the aft as a treat (I love PB!).  Appys
on the ship before dinner were often veggies, fruit, many cheeses (I had my
crackers) and one day I indulged in some chicken wings that were simply
roasted with oil and spices, no soy sauce and not fried.

Lunches off ship were pretty similar each day but I got a wonderful steak
salad with all kinds of greens and a tasty dressing at the Marriott's Sunset
Grill one day - just had to ask about the ingredients and dressing then had
it served on a plate (usually came in a tortilla shell).

I had good luck but did have my moments when I was jealous of my non-celiac
shipmates or just tired of the daily worry.  But I'd have that at home or
away, and being able to travel albeit with extra preparation and occasional
trepidation was worth it.
Cheers,
Pat

*******