From:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:05:59 -0800

Hello all,
  My 6 year old daughter has had a split in the middle of her bottom lip for over a month now.  We had some gluten contamination around Thanksgiving and again around Christmas - the split appeared a couple weeks later and while it has healed a little (not bleeding), I cannot get it to heal completely.  We keep it well moistened and she drinks lots of fluids, to no avail.  I'm thinking that it stems from the contamination and subsequent gut damage.
  Her older sister had a split lip for 8 months prior to Celiac dx - it healed completely within a week of going gf!  My son's toenail had a huge split down the middle for years which wouldn't heal, but 1 month after going gf it, too, healed.  (It has opened up again in the last 2 months, as well!)
  As far as I know we have not had any contamination since the Christmas event.  The dentist recommended an antifungal cream which I'm not really keen on trying...he said its probably yeast.  I was under the impression that it has to do with Riboflavin deficiencies (B vitamins).  I have tried a B-100 capsule but not on an extended basis.
  Any suggestions?  I'll summarize.  Thanks!

     Kate, Salmon, ID