From:
Barbara Carleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:13:20 -0400

Hello,

This is my first post to this list.  My 12 year-old son is being tested for
CD.  He has had stomach pains for several months.  The blood tests showed
an elevated IGG level (37) and an ultrasound revealed two gallstones.  He
will have a biopsy done in a few weeks.

I made the mistake of taking him off gluten when visits to
several doctors, nurses, allergists, etc. lead nowhere.  All of them
dismissed my concern that it may be CD even though it is possible that a
great grandmother may have had CD.  (Very hard to diagnose in the 1950's)
So I decided to take him off gluten just to see if it would help and the
stomach aches went away. However, this may have affected his blood tests.
He had been gluten free for about 6 weeks.  We are going back to a
nonrestricted diet for several weeks before the biopsy.

I'm wondering if any other confirmed Celiacs have had
gallstones or gallbladder disease especially younger people?  I read Ron
Hoggan's paper which said there is definitely an association between
gallbladder disease and celiac disease in children. The GI that did the
blood tests and ordered the ultrasound doesn't think my son has CD and
recommended removing the gallbladder. We went for a 2nd opinion and that GI
is recommending we do the biopsy first and then deal with the gallstones
later. He says my son's symptoms, history, blood tests, etc. are all
compatible with CD and the fact that his stomach aches went away is very
suggestive.

If anyone can share their experience with me that would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!