From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 22:02:22 -0700

    William's Sonoma has a surprising amount of GF goodies at its
stores.
     I regret to say that so far it has proved impossible to confirm
anything from Williams-Sonoma itself about its house brands. The
customer service department is run on peculiar lines, to put it
mildly. I will persevere, be it ever so lengthy a struggle.
    On the other hand, I have been able check with the manufacturers
of several items sold there, and others have promised to get back to me.
    El Paso Chile Co., 1-800-27-IS-HOT, has some superior dips and
salsas. It also has barbeque sauces, but the company will not confirm
if they are GF or not. In point of fact, it took several days of
telephoning and e-mailing for me to get any information at all.
    GF El Paso Chile products

      Salsa Primera
      Chipotle Cha Cha salsa
      Mango Tango salsa(very good)
      Snakebite salsa salsa
      Cactus salsa
      Salsa Divino (sic)
      Salsa Diablo
      2 olive Roasted Garlic salsa
      Salsa del Rio
      Roasted corn and Black Bean salsa
      Pinto bean dip (very good)
      Black bean Dip ( very good)
      Chili con Queso

     Williams Sonoma also sells products from Fran's Chocolates in
Seattle, 1-800-422-FRAN. Dean & Deluca also carry them.
     Fran's reports that everything is GF, that there is no added
gluten, and that they do not use flour on their conveyor belt. BUT -
they neglect to mention that some of the truffles use liqueurs that
are not GF (Kahlua, Grand Marnier, Bourbon, etc).The customer
representative did not seem to understand when I explained that these
were dubious items, so I finally gave it up as a lost cause.
     Eliminating the truffles and the creams (also with liqueurs, the
following items should be GF:
     Chocolate gianduja, both in milk and dark chocolate.
     chocolate espresso shells
     chocolate infusions (espresso, orange, cinnamon, mint, ginger and tea)
     assorted caramel and nut chocolates
     batonettes (only the Espresso, the Grand Marnier is dubious)
     chocolate figs (filled with ganache and dipped in dark chocolate)
     Apricots (half dipped in chocolate)
     Ginger (dipped in dark chocolate)
     Orange peel (dipped in dark chocolate)
     Gold Bars (almonds, macadamia, or coconut)
     Baking bars
     Premium Chocolate Bars
     Fixation bars (peanut butter, coffee, orange or mint)
     Sauces - caramel, dark chocolate or raspberry

     To end on a hedonistic note: the combination of David Glass's
flourless truffle cake, a scoop of vanilla Haagen Dazs, and a pool of
Fran's seedless raspberry sauce is memorable.
                             regards to all,
                                 Mary in NYC