From:
Robin Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:00:42 -0500

Greetings List,

As a quick recap, several months ago I asked about people who had problems
with fiber and fruit as my 5 1/2 year daughter had severe diarrhea when she
ate those things.  And then on top of that I had a fall and the doctors
thought I had MS.  This is an update on what has happened to date.

After more blood work and a biopsy (no, she did not go gluten free
beforehand) the results are that Hannah does not have celiac.  I realize
there are people who have had negative biopsies who later proved to have
celiac.  But I can only go on what I know at the moment.  If in the future
it proves that she does then we will deal with that then.  They also tested
to see if she was low or deficient in certain enzymes.  She was not.
However, they did find that she had yeast in her intestines, probably caused
by all the antibiotics she has been on all her life (lots of ear infections)
The long and short of it is her doctor is putting her on medicine to clear
up the yeast infection and we will see what happens.

And as for myself, as it turns out all of the tests they have run on me have
pointed to MS, the spinal tap and MRI being the most conclusive.  I am
already taking one of the "ABC" drugs to slow the progress of the disease.
There is no history of MS in my family so we have no idea where it came
from.  As a technical note: for every man who has MS there are two women who
have it, more people who live in the north get MS, it is not inherited but
there is a genetic predisposition towards it.  (I have already done tons of
research, there is probably nothing on the internet I haven't already read.
LOL)

I am relieved that Hannah may possibly be cleared up with just a two week
course of medicine and am learning to deal with this new twist in my own
life.

Thank you all for letting me listen in and learn more about a world I did
not know existed.  It has made me more sensitive to special diets others may
have when I have company for dinner.  And I have learned a lot about
nutrition to boot! :-)

Robin in Dallas