From:
Dawn Grassick Qld Biochemics Pty Ltd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 20:34:56 -0400

Hello Everyone
I'm hoping that someone on the list with lots of immunology knowledge can
answer these.

Question One: This question was prompted by Dale Zinatelli's recent post
(Mon, 10 May 1999)summarizing responses on the query: "whether immune
enhancers were safe for people with Celiac to take." Since Coeliacs have
'over-efficient' immune systems (hence we often have multiple allergies to
everyday foods) and not suppressed immune functioning, its a logical
conclusion that supplements which 'boost' your immune system (eg. echinacea)
are not really suitable.  However, are there supplements which can assist
coeliacs by supporting an immune system that is 'working too hard'?

Question Two:  Why do lots of coeliacs have low IgA levels? (I mean as a
class of immunoglobulins, not just the IgA response raised specifically to a
gluten challenge). My blood test showed a very low IgA level and the lab had
added a comment that low IgA (overall) levels were common in coeliacs.

Thanks Dawn, Brisbane Australia