From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:44:41 -0700

Sorry this took so long to summarize. Many thanks to all who responded.

Carma in Phoenix

------------
THE QUESTION
------------
Maybe I'm using the wrong key words, but I'm not coming up with what I need
in the archives. What are good GF replacements for condensed cream soups
(like Campbell's cream of mushroom or chicken) that are to be used in
casseroles or other dishes? (That is, NOT to be eaten as soups.)

-------------
THE RESPONSES
-------------
Watkins has soup bases in powder form that store well and you can
use just the portion you need.  Mix with water or milk.  Also, Trader Joe's
has cream of mushroom soup that is gf and several Fantastic Foods soups are
gf, the latter is in powder form again.
If you don't have the GF food lists from TCCSSG and CSA, you should.  These
list all kinds of gf commercial foods that at the time were gf.  These lists
give you a starting point for shopping, but as you know, we must continually
check on ingredients.  They save you a ton of time and trouble.
-------------
Use the recipe for a thick sauce on the corn starch packages. All brands have
them. Subsitute the juice from canned mushrooms for some of the milk if you
want mushroom sauce and chop the mushrooms fine. Most good, basic cookbooks
have recipes for for creamed soups that do not require flour.
Remember that you need it thicker then soup for most casseroles.
-------------
It seems to me that cream soups were used in cassaroles in place
of white sauce - either white sauce that is plain or flavored.
I would imagine that making a white sauce using gluten free flours
would do it.  It doesn't take long to make and it does taste
better (and is a LOT cheaper)
-------------
In Bette Hagman's third cookbook The Gluten  Free  Gourmet
Cooks Fast and Healthy she has a recipe for a replacement for condensed
cream of mushroom soup.  Let me know if you want me to sent it to you.  I
haven't tried it, as I'm lactose free and don't fool around with milk
substitutes.
-------------
Maybe coconut milk? Though it would impart a different flavor.
-------------
    I just got the Watkins soup bases that I ordered.  They still have to be
mixed with flour for gravies and creamy soups, but I think I will try potato
flour and see how that works.  I called the company and got a gluten free
foods list, though they said my local rep should have one.  (She had never
heard of such a thing, but did get one after I talked to her.)
    This is the first time I have ever bought Watkins products.  They are a
little pricey, but the list contained lots of flavorings and spices that
were gluten free, so we may be doing more business with them.  I also
ordered the tapioca desert mix.  All of the desert mixes are GF but only the
cream, chicken and beef soup bases are.
-------------
I just make a basic white sauce using white rice flour.  I make it exactly
the same as you would a white sauce - you can find a recipe in any
comprehensive cookbook.  If you don't have one let me know and I will send
it. The only difference is the rice flour.  It is great and I make cream
soups and also cheese sauce for vegetables - no one can tell the difference,
-------------
Here is what I use whenever a recipe calls for a creamed soup.
Combine 1 cup non-fat dried milk powder; 1 T dried onion flakes, 2 T
cornstarch.  Add 1 T chicken bouillon powder (Herb Ox is GF), 1/2 t
basil; 1/2 t thyme; and 1/4 tsp black pepper for cream of chicken soup.
For cream of mushroom just add some sliced mushrooms.  (You can adjust
the seasoning to your taste.  I sometimes add fresh broccoli, or
asparagus for a creamed soup).
When you are ready for soup, just ad 2 cups of cold water and cook over
medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens.  If it gets too
thick, just add a little water to thin.  Hope this helps.
-------------
I use Watkins (home delivered - sold by individuals) cream soup mix. It
is a powder, and comes with instructions on how to make different cream
sauces. My family loves it. Incidentally, many of their soups are gf - the
chicken and beef soup base are, and I use these instead of the cubes, when
making gravy. They have a vegetable one, and tomato soup, which I don't
care for the tomato! Also, many pudding mixes.
-------------
I have used the CSA Cookbook #3 recipe for many years in a variety of
ways. It's a dry mix that you make ahead and add the liquids, etc. when
preparing the dish.

Casserole Sauce Mix
2c. nonfat dry milk
3/4 c. cornstarch
2 T dried onion flakes
l t dried, crushed thyme
1 t dried, crushed basil
1/2 t pepper
1 T salt (This is a little much for my taste.)

Combine all ingredients and store in as air-tight container.  To use as
a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup, mix 1/4 c of the dry
mix with 1 1/4 cups of chicken stock in a 1 quart glass measure.
Microwave on HIGH power for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring once or twice,
until thickened. You may add mushrooms, chopped celery, chopped cooked
chicken for variation in flavor.

Personal Note:
I have also made this recipe on the stove, sauteeing the vegetables and
then add the powder mix and broth shaken together in a jar. Sometimes I
use vegetable broth for a change.
-------------
I have sent this to a lot of people the past.  Most of the time I don't even
bother to make the soup--just all the ingerdients mixing up my cassorole. I
just keep a jar of the soup base in the frig & add when I need it--I don't
make the soup up before adding.

                      CREAM OF 'WHATEVER' SOUP

(This doesn't format correct over the computer, align *, **.&*** into 3
column. The recipes is tiered vertically w/ directions along the left
side.)

        *  Cream                **  Cream                ***  Cream
        *  of                   **  of                   ***  of
        *  Tomato               **  Mushroom             ***  Chicken

Mix:    *1/4 c. soup base       **1/3 c. soup base       ***1/3 c. soup base

With:   *3/4 c. cold water      **3/4 c. cold water      ***1 c. cold water

Add:    *1/2 cup tomato         **1-4 oz. can            ***1/3 cup finely
        *  paste                **  mushrooms,           ***minced chicken
                                **  undrained &
                                **  chopped

Season  *1/2 t. paprika         **2 t. chicken           ***2 t. chicken
with:   *1/4 t. celery          **  boullion             ***  boullion
        *salt                   **1 t. butter            ***1/4 t. dried
        *1 t. butter            **Dash of nutmeg         ***  parsley
                                                         ***Dash of celery
                                                         ***  salt

Directions:
Mix and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Lower
heat and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes more, stirring occassionally. At
this point, use as directed in place of a can of cream soup.    For eating,
add 8-10 ounces of additional water when heating.

Mushroom soup:  Mushrooms can be chopped in own juice in a blender.

Celery Soup:  Simmer celery in 1 t. butter with a little water in a covered
pan until tender, 5-10 minutes.  It may be necessary to add more water. The
water should be almost evaporated before adding to recipe.

QUICK MIX CASSEROLE

Mix all casserole ingredients and bring to a boil on of stove.  Mix 1/4 to
1/3 cup soup base with an additional 1 cup water. Add to hot ingredients,
stir until thick.  Turn into baking dish, bake as usual.
SOUP BASE

Mix well:  2 cups nonfat dried milk
           1/2 cup cornstarch
           1/2 cup potato starch