From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:20:11 -0600

I had several people email me regarding Dannon's statement
on alcohol content in the flavoring.

I liked "Laurie's" response (to Dannon) best:

Are you aware that alcohol is no longer considered to have
gluten because of the distillation process even if it is
devived from a gluten containing source? If alcohol is
gluten free, doesn't that mean that the products which may
have flavoring based on alcohol even if it is derived from
a wheat product is gluten safe? Please have your
scientists check this out. There are many of us who would
like to safely enjoy your flavored yogurts.

-----

FYI: I just posted Dannon's response on the listserv as a
better alternative to the "we don't know if our products
are gluten free or not, so please don't eat them" response
(the "CYA" statement). Dannon's response had enough
information that we could decide which products we can
safely consume, as informed celiacs. This is opposed to
the now infamous Brach's candy stance... which in my
opinion just sounds like, "we don't care."

Thanks,

Megan Tichy
Bryan, TX

*******