From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:37:59 -0400

     Five months ago a small family owned Spanish restaurant opened up
in a neighboring town.  My husband has eaten there before, but today I
went along.  He likes the food but also likes the opportunity practice
his Spanish with the people operating the restaurant.
     The older grey haired gentleman who seats you is one of the family
owners, named Osbaldo, and the chef Arturo are both Columbian.  They
both speak excellent English.  The menu is a mix of Spanish and
Columbian cooking and was very tasty.  We asked what items we could
order that do not have wheat or flour, and he said "oh you want no
gluten".  They had both worked 30 yrs in the restaurant business.  He
explained which items do not have wheat, and offered one other he could
make without flour.  The rice is white and has no gluten seasonings in
it, and the simmered beans were also safe.  The salad is sort of vinegar
based shredded cabbage with some other vegetables in it.  As a side they
give you fried plaintain slices (no flour).  I had the shrimp with
creole sauce and rice.  My husband had a slab of grilled pork loin with
a sort of clear tomato based sauce on it and double beans since he
doesn't eat rice.  Last time he had grilled steak (carne asada).  There
is a tilapia fish dish, and a chicken I was considering.  They have 10
or 12 entrees.   There are also some appetizers but we didn't try them
yet.  For dessert, they have a nice flan with caramel sauce that doesn't
have flour.  We both had iced tea.  The people are friendly and the
restaurant is BYOB.
     I have no financial interest in this, only like to find a safe
place to eat.  Anyone coming this way should give them at try.  They are
open every day except Monday.
Aromas del Sur, 548 South State Street, Ephrata, PA 717-738-0101  up the
street from Ephrata Library.

Paula in PA