From:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 21:17:55 -0400

I know that we would all like to have gluten free meals available when we travel. I also know that many of the people on this list have multiple allergies or food intolerances in addition to having celiac. I wonder if there is a fairly standard meal/s that would be acceptable to most celiacs. Of course the meal would have to leave out the 7 kinds of foods which frequently cause problems to many people.Peanuts, soy, treenuts, shellfish, milk, eggs, fish.

 I think if there were a few standard meals it would make it easier to demand that celiacs needs be met when on the road.

I would like people to write to me describing what they think a meal would consist of  I know my husband, who is the one with  celiac, would not want a meal heavy in beans or highly spiced when he was traveling. he also aviods any thing with canola oil in it.

Also, mention other foods that have to be left out.

I meal he could eat would be a baked potato or brown rice, chicken prepared in its own pan, cooked carrots, a green salad ( no croutons or dressing) a slice of lemon. Olive oil in a separate labeled container, ( We carry our own). Fruit

Vegetarians comment on what would you substitute for a protein.

There are some other issues such as preparation in a manner which would prevent contamination, but thats for a later discussion.
There are also some issues about the growing presence of food services like Sysco providing foods to all kinds of places now so that the ingredients are not standard manufacturers.

I wll summarize for the list.

Thanks in advance.
Irma in Mass, USA