From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:04:40 +0100

Dear All,

I've seen several posts of worried people (in particular
linked with the possibility of lymphoma) where discussion
of CT scans keeps coming up.  One poster was suggesting
them every two years!

CT scans give quite significant doses of x-ray radiation.
Obviously if you have a serious medical problem, then this
is a price worth paying.  The BIG question comes when it is
being used as a routine scanning operation, where I would
(with my professional hat on) seriously question whether it
could be justified.  Radiation is a moderate carcinogen.
If you go on picking up significant doses, your risk of
cancer rises.  The bigger the doses the bigger the risk.
It would be silly to get a cancer of one type, because of
trying to avoid a cancer of another type.

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209

Support the Jubilee 2000 movement.  Remove the debt burden
from third world countries.  See http://www.cafod.org.uk/petition.htm