From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 08:38:22 EDT

Heather Murphy wrote:

> Does anyone know which flavors, if any, of TCBY frozen yogurt are
> gluten-free?  I was there last night, and a lot of them looked to
> have "natural flavors" in them?  Has anyone checked this out with
> the company?

In a letter dated July 13, 1994, they sent us a list of ingredients
but no information about the GF status of any of the products.  They
listed the "base" ingredients (i.e., the ingredients common to all
flavors) for the three types of yogurt.

The "base" or common ingredients in their Regular Frozen Yogurt and
in their Nonfat Frozen Yogurt appear to be safe.  Their No Sugar
Added Nonfat Frozen Yogurt contains one suspicious "base" ingredient:
maltodextrin.  It may or may not be GF; they didn't say.

NOTE: For each flavor there are additional ingredients added, so you
would still need to check the individual ingredient list.

Contact information:
     TCBY Enterprises, Inc.
     1100 TCBY Tower
     425 W. Capitol Ave.
     Little Rock, Arkansas  72201
     (501) 688-8229

Another choice for frozen yogurt is Baskin Robbins.  In a letter dated
October 31, 1994, signed by Desi Larkin, it is stated:  "The alcohol that
carries our flavors and our modified starches is gluten free.  However,
our cakes and cookie pieces are not gluten free."  They even included
copies of the letters from their alcohol suppliers.

They went on to list all of their GF products.  According to them, the
following flavors of frozen yogurt are gluten-free:

     Nonfat              Lowfat         Yogurt Gone Crazy
     ------              ------         -----------------
     Black Cherry        Blueberry      Boom Choco Laka
     Chocolate Mint      Cheesecake
     Dutch Chocolate     Chocolate
     Kahlua              Vanilla
     Key Lime