From:
David & Crystal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:06:17 -0400

Since we're on the topic of food labeling for allergies, I thought this
was interesting. It's from the Food Allergy Digest that I received this
morning. http://www.egroups.com/group/FoodAllergyDigest I agree with the
Food Allergy Network's response to the position (read on -- it's at the
end), but we should contact the AGs to include gluten, not just wheat if
this thing does go through.
~Crystal in ME

*State of New York Petitions Food and Drug Administration Regarding
Clearer Food Labeling For Food Allergens

The state of New York submitted a petition to the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) to request for clearer food labeling for to help
the number of cases of allergic reactions due to unclear or vague
ingredient statements.  Attorney General Eliot Spitzer of New York, and
Attorneys General from eight other states joined in the FDA petition.
Key components of Spitzer's food allergy petition to the FDA include:

o Creating a symbol-a circled letter 'A'- to be prominently displayed on
the upper right front corner of food packages.  The symbol will alert
consumers that the product in the package contains allergenic substances
such as peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish, crustaceans, mollusks,
wheat and soy beans;

o Establishing a toll-free hotline where consumers can obtain reliable
food ingredient information;

o Specifying on food labels when allergenic ingredients are used even in
small amounts that are currently designated as "insignificant levels;"
and,

o Establishing food industry guidelines to prevent the migration of
allergenic ingredients from one product to another during food
processing and preparation

You can read the press release from the Office of the Attorney General
for New York by going to:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2000/may/may26a_00.html .

The Food Allergy Network (FAN) has reviewed this petition.  FAN has
concern over the use of an allergy symbol such as that described in the
petition, as well as use of a toll free hotline.  FAN's position is that
clear and accurate ingredient labeling, in easy-to-understand, simple
English terms, will be more helpful to consumers than an allergy symbol
or a toll free hotline.

You can read FAN's position regarding the FDA petition by going to:
http://www.foodallergy.org/labeling.html .