From:
Sharon Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:52:32 -0600

I received several replies about GF rice.  Some contradict each other so
if in doubt, please check with the company.  Unless stated differently,
these are stated as gluten free.

MINUTE RICE - 7 people said they get along fine with it, including a
7-yr old girl who is very sensitive.  Kraft declared Minute Rice GF on
12/99 according to two responses.  That also includes Instant Long
Grain, Premium Long Grain, and Precooked Boil in a Bag; brown rice.

SUCCESS RICE - Natural Long Grain; Precooked Brown Enriched;
Precooked Natural Long Grain White; and their Spanish Rice Mix.  (She
takes Success brand, buys Ortega Dinner Kit with taco shells--not soft
taco dinner or burritos dinner kit), adds GF sour cream and other GF
toppings and has a meal.

LIPTON - Original Wild Rice & Sauce Mix; Carolina Natural Long Grain
Brown Rice; Enriched Long Grain Instant; Precooked & Enriched Long Grain
White Rice.

LUNDBERG FAMILY FARMS - 1 person has found the rice products are all GF
EXCEPT for the following three:  Organic Multigrain Rice Cakes; Italian
Herb Risotto; Garlic Primavera Risotto (so don't eat those!) This person
did this research and has obtained a letter from Lundberg to this effect
for her Website, Cecilia's Gluten-Free Grocery.  You might
have seen postings about this back in November of 1999 when they were

*supposed* to be open.   This person stated that all the gremlins have
been abolished and the site is working beautifully.  If you would like
to explore "The Fine Art of Gluten Free," please click on the
following link:  http://www.glutenfreegrocery.com/     Then go to "Shop
Now," then "Rice and Rice Blends" to see the rice products by Lundberg.
They also carry a couple of their rice cakes, which are found in the
"Snacks" section.

UNCLE BENS - GF according to company (1-800-548-6253)

RICELAND - white rice enriched with corn starch--brown rice also okay.

MEIJERS - okay

ASIAN BLEND - 1 person sticks to asian blend rices.

1 person said, "As far as I know, experience, and research, ALL plain
rices are GF.  Even "sticky rice", which is sometimes called glutinous,
contains NO gluten." - Side note:  I thought maybe "sticky" was not
always GF.  Anyone know?

OTHER COMMENTS:  1 person said, "On this listing I've read that rice
that is enriched either has gluten, or for someother reason, we should
stay away from."  Side note:  this must not always be true since several
have been confirmed as GF.

1 person said, "lots of rice is coated with corn starch and syrup."

1 person said, "Rice Pilafs" has gluten in it.

1 person said, "Read on Internet that there is gluten in rice naturally
even though it is a lesser amount.  Thought I got brain fog from rice
products."

1 person had a dog with intestinal problems and vet said feed it boiled
chicken and rice but not Minute Rice.  (Maybe it was for a different
reason--don't know.)

Thanks to all--hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Sharon in KS