From:
Orlinda Mathis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orlinda Mathis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:57:56 -0700

Original Post:

I have celiac and I know this probably sounds crazy but my family is growing
wheat in our garden. Will this be a problem with the other produce grown in
the garden if it is washed good? I can understand other grains, like oats,
being too difficult to wash, but how about tomatoes and such? Also, our corn
is going where the wheat is when it is finished.

I only got four responses and here they are . . . .

*****
We grow sorgun and amarth instead

*****
From what I understand, much of what we "innocently" eat is grown in
fields that are rotated as such. As far as I know, it is common
practice on farms to rotate crops. I do not have any idea what
effect it has on cross-contamination . . .

*****
Common sense tells me that is a no-no to be growing wheat in the same ground
as foods you are eating. Cross-contamination is the reason oats has been
off-limits to us Celiacs. Now that Gift of Nature company is certifying
that their oats are being grown in an "oats only" field, we can eat their
oats. I have w/no problem.

*****
The gluten is inside the kernels of grain, under the bran. It's not like
milled flour that floats through the air. Any problem in the garden would
come from eating the wheat there, not having the plant touch others.

Unless you want wheat sprouting up everywhere next year (rather than
controlled plantings), remove grain heads before they fall to the ground or
are spread by rodents, birds.
*****

Thank you for your responses.  They were very interesting and helpful.
Orlinda - OR

*******
*******