CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:45:03 -0700

I came across some interesting passages in the book titled
 "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard Bernstein.

"Although diabetes is still an incurable, chronic disease, it is VERY
treatable, and the long term "complications" are fully preventable. I've
had type 1 diabetes for more than 50 years. This form of diabetes is far
more serious than type 2, although both have the potential to be fatal."

He later goes on to say:

"Type 2 diabetes is, at the beginning, a less serious disease- patients
don't melt away into sugar water and die in a few month's time. Type 2
however, can through chronically but less dramatically elevated blood
sugars be much more insidious. It probably causes more heart attacks,
strokes, and amputation than the more serious Type 1 disease. Type 2 is
a major cause of hypertension, heart disease, blindness, and amputation
due to impaired sensation (nerve damage) in feet with poor circulation
that do not heal when injured. That these serious complications of Type
2 diabetes can proliferate is no doubt because it IS initially milder
and is often left untreated or treated poorly."

share it.

I DON'T want to get into doom & gloom. I'm really looking for this list
to be a think tank & support center for those in this *boat* who have
special diet & medical requirements of diabetes & sprue- so that we can
share our experience, and know how, to live long & healthy lives.

I always like kicking around ideas though & I think this has been a good
exercise!

Fran