CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jones, Sara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:21:00 -0700

Hi Katie:

Thanks so much for the pumping-encouragement and insulin pump tips.  I'm
sure you are verrrrrry busy and hope all is also well with you.    I haven't
continued the 3 am basal checks, but should probably re-institute that early
a.m. check periodically.  I do manage random post-meal checks a few times a
week .

Whenever you have few minutes.....I have a quick question:   With the pump,
I sometimes skip the lunch meal if I'm really busy at work and not in the
mood for food.  I must have the basal level okay because there is no insulin
reaction and the BG remains fairly stable.  Physician, however, remains
insistent upon regular meals (and regular everything for that matter).  With
the pump and at my age however (middle age now)  does it REALLY hurt to skip
an occasional lunch if I'm not hungry , am busy, and the BG remains stable?
For us grown-ups, any strong opinions on the meal-skipping issue?  (
However,  I do understand that IT WOULD NOT be good to skip a meal if a
child or teenager - with children in their formative years, growing,
developing,  they do need the balance and the nutrition.)

As for children and insulin pumps:  what considerations should take priority
for a parent thinking about  an insulin pump for his/her child?  Would a
child of nine or ten be too young?    Or would one wait a couple more years
when the child is entering the middle school years?  I would assume the
child's maturity and number of years experience with diabetes and its
management would have great bearing in considering an insulin pump, perhaps
as much as the age?   I can certainly see where a child or teen  would
benefit  so very much with a pump...the freedom and the ability to fine tune
insulin delivery so much more safely and accurately!

Thanks again!
Sara Jones, Houston