CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynette Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:26:20 EST

Tonya,
    I have only been diagnoses with Celiac since November 15th.  I had anemia
for over a year and a half and they could not find the cause.  I had been
very sick the past year and a half and was ready to pack it all in.  I got
depressed and felt horrible.  I had no energy and felt sick all the time.
Since I went on the gluten free diet I have felt much better and a week ago
had major surgery that I could not have had a year ago because of my poor
health.  Last summer I was able to get my blood sugars down to a normal level
and have been on only pills since then.  (advandia)  I had bounced back and
forth between pills and insulin for many years and it was a frustrating time.
 I was a gestational diabetic.  After my third large baby I started to
develop type two diabetes.  I when from infections and high blood sugars to
lows with insulin.  I was really on a yo-yo.  After getting my diet
straighten out and just being on the pills, I have managed to do well with
the diabetes.  The Doctor thinks I had the Celiac for a very long time and
some of the symptoms where blamed on my diabetes and on the fact that I had
had by gall bladder removed many years ago.  I have stopped having the
diarrhea after eating fried foods and my blood level has started to go up.
This is all in correlation to the Gluten free diet.  I have to be very
careful about eating the high carbo gluten free breads.  That makes my blood
sugar go up.  Atkins Diet is really rather good for me.  Even if I do eat a
little more that It calls doe in the fruits and veggies.  At lease I'm not
eating all the sugars and crabs.  You really have to watch that with
diabetes.

I would be happy to give you any help I can.  Just let  me know If they thing
I can help.  -Lynette from Massachusetts