CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:45:04 -0400

In <[log in to unmask]>, on 06/23/98
   at 01:36 AM, Fran  Gillespie <[log in to unmask]> said:

>>I guess I see more commonalities of the two types of diabetes than
>>differences.

And I see significant differences which make handling this 50/50 list
right  hard.

Analogy may be helpful for one. Think of life's journey as an ever-rising
strenous path through treacherous terrain.  Neither journey is very
pleasant. For the Type 1 there's a steep cliff on one side so a misstep in
that direction is certain death (hypoglycemic reaction/coma or its
consequences). On the other side is the gradually steepening downward
slope of rougher and rougher terrain (complications from high blood
sugar). For the Type 2, the same slope of complications but no cliff of
death as I understand it.

Different diets (Type 2: "essential" fat only, weight loss  limit on daily
calories; Type 1: low fat, weight-neutral calorie count, controlled amount
of carbs matched to insulin and exercise.

There's a world of difference between "no more than" and "just this
amount".  Type 2's walk around perpetually hungary, unlike Type 1s.

(continued)                              Kemp