CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rosalie West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:38:53 EDT

I am a type 1 also, and I don't think there is any particular adjustment I've
had to make since going gluten-free--just be sure to consider the
carbohydrates in the gluten free foods, which are of course different from
what you've been used to..

I used NPH as basal for many years but recently was switched to Lantus, with
one dose at bedtime lasting 24 hours and having little if any peak.  It's
great!  I can hardly express how great it is compared to using NPH.  I'm
having WAY fewer extra highs and extra lows than before.  Ask your doctor
about it.

It's interesting about Pizza.  Many diabetics say it gives them the most
problems of any non-sugary foods, and I don't know why.  I have a gluten free
pizza recipe (which doesn't cause blood sugar problems) from  Phyllis Potts'
cookbook, Going Against the Grain, which is for people who are allergic to
wheat.  Some recipes use other gains containing some gluten, so you can't use
them.  But everything I've tried in her book has been excellent, and I highly
recommend it.  I have other gluten-free cookbooks, but this is the one I use
most.  Hope you can cook or have someone who can do it for you.

I wish you the greatest good luck!

Rosalie