CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:38:56 EST

Haven't used it, but IMHO ---
How the Glycemic Index (GI) effects each us is not a given.
GI numbers are not cast in concrete, but an average of testing done with a
group of individuals.
Only you can know if this product effects your body differently than other
sweeteners such as sugar, etc.

The only way to assess if this product is better for you than others is to
test your blood-glucose (bg) before & after eating the cooked item made with
both the old & new type of sweetener. I'm assuming you're diabetic.
Since this will undoubtedly be used in some kind of food that's
carby/starchy, testing at 1 & 2 hours after eating should give you  sufficient data to see
a difference.
But I'd recommend doing the test a couple of times to get past the normal
built-in errors possible with bg testers.

Manufacturer claims can be, lets say "optomistic"!
Unfortunately there are food-products out there that are making claims  based
on the GI that may or may not be true.
Bottom line is "I don't care what the manufacturer claims", I need to know
how things effect "my body".
Test & see.
Roger
Carlsbad, NM

>>> Recently, I bought a bottle of Organic Blue Agave  Syrup, a low glycemic
organic sweetener.  It claims it has less influence  on blood sugar than other
sweeteners.  Has anyone ever used this product  successfully? I'd like to use
it in place of processed sugars in baking breads  and desserts.  I've
included their website address and would like your  opinion of this product.  Thanks.
_http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/wholesome/Wholesome_Sweeteners_Orga
nic_Blue_Agave_Nectar.html_
(http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/wholesome/Wholesome_Sweeteners_Organic_Blue_Agave_Nectar.html)
Rita