CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:17:50 -0500

Jason:

There is a genetic pre-disposition for celiac disease as with other
diseases. There are a lot of unknowns as to what triggers it,
virsus,etc.

Some people are born with it and have symptoms all their life and just
never are diagnosed. My daughter was diag. at 10 mos. of age and I said
to the doctor, "Celiac disease is heredity."(I studied it in school when
I got my degree in nutrition). So they went through my health history
which I been a mess ever since I was a baby and celiac disease was my
problem also and it was never diagnosed. A sidelight is that my mother
and my sister have been diagnosed with irritable bowel symdrome and they
have the same symptoms as Brittany and I had. And because of no major
dietary change that is imposed upon them their symptoms really don't
improve - it is a "you just have to live with it" thing. My personal
opinion is that there are a lot of undiagnosed celiacs running around.

A dietitian at Children's Hospital in Columbus, OH called me the other
day and told me she is seeing 10 new celiac patients a month and 3-4 new
celiac/diabetic patients a month. These numbers are much higher than
they used to be in our community. There was 1-2 cel/diabetics a year.

Pam Nylander