CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:36:46 -0700

I guess I see more commonalities of the two types of diabetes than
differences. I exercise caution in making broad strokes of assessment-
is it less of a *real threat* if a type 2 struggles with too high bg's
and potential complications, than a type 1 dealing with daily insulin?
Both share the need to somehow help the body maintain insulin & blood
glucose levels. 60% of type 2's wind up on insulin, and that
liver/glucose storage mechanism can be a curse rather than a blessing
when it comes to dawn phenomenon.

Kemp wrote:  Blood sugar changes faster, both up and down, in a Type 1 or
than in a Type 2 who no longer makes any insulin and hence must inject.
Hypoglycemia is a constant, real threat.<snip> Further, the other missing
hormone from the damaged beta cells of the pancreas, amylin, is unavailable
to control glucagon release, another safety valve against low blood sugar.

popular oral medication- the sulfonylurea drugs- glucotrol, glynase,
glipazide etc....
These have a notorious ability to casue lows unless you have a very
rigid meal schedule.
Again 60% of type 2's use insulin as well.

Injecting insulin, even "human" insulin is just as unnatural as taking
whichever pill for Type 2. The grass is not greener and, indeed, more
dangerous. --

oral meds have other side effects that can be more dangerous than
insulin....?????  Some certainly come with the risk of lows.The meds are only
good for several years.

Having diabetes in general is dangerous to your health.

~fran