CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:37:12 -0800

Hi Vivian...... I'm curious---
were you diagnosed w "hypoglycemia" <which would mean too LOW>,
or "hyperglycemia" <which would mean too HIGH> ?????

There is a big difference!

Are we talking about diabetes here, or too low a blood glucose?
Do you have copies of your labwork?
Fasting blood glucose & A1c results would e of particular interest-- you
can call the Doctor's office & ask for those numbers.

What medication were you put on?

The 2 different terms are exact opposites. Some doctors use the term
"hyperglycemic", I guess, to soften the blow & not just say "diabetic".
My doc said that to me & I think it is a disservice. Anyway, clarify
please.....

Fran