CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:56:11 -0500

Fraan said:

>>Are we talking about diabetes here, or too low a blood glucose? ...
>>The 2 different terms are exact opposites.

Not necessarily. For some Type 2s there's a passing phase of
overproduction of insulin to try to overcome insulin resistance. The
insulin never gets to body tissue so diabetic damage is still being done,
but it can temporarily lower blood glucose. The low carb suggestion is to
reduce that overproduction and reduce the the degree of hypoglycemia that
would otherwise occur a hour or two after eating. Passing phase because
the body's ability to make insulin eventually "burns out" , meaning
insulin injections are needed.

If this is the case here, then as Fran indirectly suggested it's the
diabetes diagnosis to put first with diet AND exercise. Yes, pills may be
necessary, but try without first.  Diet means LOW calorie. No waffling
--adjust your eyes and stomach. Exercise,  less for immediate weight
burning, than for the reduction of insulin resistance and hence lower
tissue glucose. Lower weight also means less insulin resistance.

If real hypoglycemia is involved, there are degrees of it --few doctors
know how to distinguish between these and offer diets for each. I've
e-mailed Vivian with a reliable on-line contact.

                          Kemp