CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:53:24 -0700

Kemp wrote: <snipped here & there>  First, one major fallacy,
that, whatever's its nature, there's one right or best diet for all
celiac diabetics.

>> I agree! there is no *one* diet that works for all.

Four separate issues when it comes to diabetic diets: total calories; mix
of carbs, protein and fat; nature of carbs; portion size control. Those
taking insulin have the extra issue of size, kind(s), and timing of
insulin doses.

>>Make that 5-- you forgot the exercise component.

Portion control for diabetics is important.

>>Yes but the actual choices of what you are eating is important as well.....
some foods are going to yield better dm numbers than others.

As for the "lo-carb percentage" approach, anyone doing that had better
have a doctor that understands how to do it right so liver and kidneys are
both protected and regularly monitored.  Dr. Bernstein puts his Type 1s,
I'm told, on very "intensive treatment" --7 injections of insulin a day.
It's not a diet to do on your own, in my opinion.

>>>In general, you want to be working with a medical professional to make
sure all the elements of diabetes management are under control- no matter
WHAT diet you choose.  I'm not going to get into better/worse diet choice
discussions-- do whatever works for you!  But consuming less carbs than
standard recommendations has yielded excellent lab values & bg control FOR
SOME, & does not require *additional* testing-other than standard care for
all diabetics.

Fran