CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lana Alley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:27:29 EDT

Whenever I have experienced the joys of lactose intolerance (i.e. bad gas and
the trots) it was usually following a hormonal change. :>(  When I would cease
a hormone birth-control would be when the l.i. would raise its ugly head.  Now
that my mother is experiencing menopause, she, too, is somewhat l.i. - doesn't
this seem to indicate the importance of hormonal balance? Hmmm . . .

As for insulin resistance, it did improve when exercise became a part of the
daily diabetic regime, although I do take Metformin (Glucophage) to increase
cell sensitivity and slow glucose release from the liver.  The drug at first
bothered my g.i. system, but that lasted for only one week.

I did have an unfortunate way of learning how well the Metformin worked for
me. I had a terrible virus attack my g.i. back in January and was in and out
of the Urgent Care clinic for I.V. fluid replacement.  My G.P. (I wonderful
and caring doctor) ran every test she could think of to combat the problem -
even though I was drinking inordinate amounts of liquids, I was continually
dehydrated which is very serious as it can lead to heart failure.  Well, one
of the tests she ran was for lactic acidosis which can be a serious
complication from the Metformin. It came back with some indication of lactic
acidosis and I immediately stopped taking the drug.  Two nights I later ended
up at Urgent Care with a blood glucose reading of 647!

My Endo (another fantastic doc!) saw me the next morning, and upon learning
how I came to be there got ticked at my G.P.  Apparently everyone with
diarrhea experiences some degree of lactic acidosis and the level in my system
was acceptable.  When my system healed, I started back on the drug and the
b.g. levels returned to normal (70-120 mg/dl).  Whenever I now have diahrhea,
the Endo has me stopping the drug for the interim and I find that my regularly
tested liver functions come back with healthy reports!

The lactic acidosis/diarrhea is VERY important for anyone to know about who
uses Metformin (Glucophage). Having this knowledge could help those using this
drug from unnecessarily being made to stop using it.  Typical protocal,
according to my Endo, is to halt intake for a six-month period and then
resume.  If this is done, then that could mean, for some, a prolonged time of
high b.g. levels.  Talk to your doctor to learn if this is right for you!

Lana