CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 08:09:26 -0800

I'm wondering what other listmates take on "oats" is. It is considered
to be one of the so-called controversial grains for those w/ sprue. Many
experts in the field are now saying oats, in and of themselves, are
gluten free, but the problem was that due to harvesting methods, such as
crop rotation, or using the same equipment and conveyor belts to harvest
and move the grain causes the gluten contamination.

When first diagnosed I must have had badly damaged villi, because even
trace elements of gluten- like in white vinegar, for instance, would
give me the classic reaction (throne time).

Since I have been gluten free, I notice I can tolerate small amounts of
gluten without having a reaction. I realize any time gluten is consumed
damage is being done, and if I continued to consume gluten, the villi
would again become damaged back to the super sensitive state. But the
point is, I don't immediately react to gluten like I used to.

I tried eating some Oats, and did not have a reaction. But after a few
more days of trying it, I seemed to begin having gluten like symptoms.

Have others tried eating oats & what was your experience?

~Fran

Who never thought the "oat controversy" would be an issue in life !!!