CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steven Besler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:48:11 -0700

Hi Everyone!

I am a type I diabetic on intensive insulin therapy.

Before suspecting I had celiac disease, I noticed that pizza (for example)
caused an unexplained increase in my blood glucose levels that didn't
seem to make sense based on it's carbohydrate content.  I had previously
attributed this fact to me miscalculating the amount of carbohydrate it
contained.  Eventually, I just stopped eating pizza.

I'm currently waiting for my anti-gliaden test results to come back.
I'm going GF as well as I can, but I have made a few mistakes along the
way (and felt the ill effects).  After my diagnosis has been confirmed,
I'm planning on being extremely strict about my gluten-free diet.

The other problem is that I plan to ask my endo about a big alteration
in my insulin regimen (swich my basal insulin - NPH - from a single dose
at bed time to a split dose, or replace NPH with a longer-lasting insulin
with a shallower peak of action)

So the question is, should I wait to adjust my insulin regimen until
after I go "hard core" gluten free?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

PS: Thanks for everyone's responses so far! :-)

--
Steven K. Besler                                       <[log in to unmask]>
Global Village Consulting, Inc.                 <http://www.global-village.net>