CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:34:03 -0500

I've also had good luck with getting ingredient information on meals
served at Chili's.

Another restaurant I have had good experiences at is Don Pablo's. They
will sustitute 100% corn tortillas into any dish that contains floured
tortillas, you just have to ask. A waiter told me this when I stated
that we had a problem with gluten-containing foods.  Also, make sure
that you ask about any other ingredients that could potentially have
gluten in it. Brittany and I have had the Chicken Flauntas (these do
contain dairy (cheese) made with corn tortillas and they are great. I am
sure the fat content is up there because they taste so good. Next time
we go I will ask for fat, carb, etc. information.

Also, if your in Columbus, Ohio, The Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe, located
near Ohio State University (this is a very new restaurant) is very
accomodating! Two weeks ago we gave them the "true test." We went there
about 5 p.m. for dinner which is nearing the time when Brittany needs to
have an insulin (Humalog/NPH). I told them she was diabetic and  needs
her food 10 minutes after her shot. The waiter immediately put in her
dinner order (he said her dinner could be done in 10 minutes) with our
salad orders and Brit and I went to the restroom to do the shot. (This
was our 1st experience doing a shot at a restaurant). We did the shot
and the food was there in 10 minutes flat. I was floored! I know not all
places are so willing to please, but I think if you make a real effort
to communicate the situation, more often then not they will try to
accomodate.

Pam