CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 13:50:01 -0400

Joanne said:

>>I have to say these things because researchers have not done conclusive
>>testing on the levels of contamination, if it exists at all, and whether
>>or not differences exist within and among the specific brands and
>>batches.

Well, none of the celiac groups do any "research" on contamination.

 Forget the difficult issues of how low a gluten content you can measure,
the research I'm talking about is within their lay person grasp --namely
food plant visits to establish what procedures are being used. Some can be
done on the phone: here's a  now out-of date example I did a couple years
ago with Arrowhead (before they were bought out by some venture capital
company). I started questioning consumer affairs about the cleansing
procedures, if any, they used. Immediately transferred to the quality
control office where they gave details of how they cleaned the line betwen
gluten and non-gluten runs and even said they showed a slide of a ravaged
celiac intestine as part of their training program for the cleaning team.
Finally, that afternoon as I got persistent on the questions I was passed
to the president. I came away completely satisfied with their local
procedures, though I never asked about flours.

The only celiac group effort at the right level I've ever seen is that
done by the late Elaine Hartsoock of GIG. If you want a treat order some
of the back issues of their newsletter from that era. She, by the way, was
the first to call attention to the celiac Type 1 connection. Several
articles in this newsletter and others in medical journals on that
connection.

In any case, I've given two sources for buckwheat, one guaranteed to be
gluten free, the other very likely to be.

                                   Kemp