CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martin Kindler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:28:23 -0500

I have been a type I diabetic for 2 years and a celiac for about 1 1/2
years.  After going on a strict gluten free diet, my insulin requirements
obviously increased as I absorbed more and more.  However, occasionaly
(once or twice) through out the last year, I have noticed that my insulin
requirements suddenly decrease.  The same amount of insulin that I have
been using will now cause me to go low.  This period usually lasts about a
week or two.  I have noticed that this period sometimes coincides with a
cankersore or two, which usually indicates that I have unknowingly digested
some form of gluten.  Is it possible that a singular mistake of having some
gluten could have an immediate effect on my villi to flatten and thus
absorb less and therefore require less insulin.  Does anyone else have this
shift of insulin requirements and does this coincide with a possible gluten
reaction.

Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks

Marty