CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:05:06 -0400

Fran said:

>>In fact, a dear type 2 friend died (in bed) of a sudden heart attack

In context, I was referring solely to deaths from hypoglycemia at night.
Unlike heart attacks the cause is clear, as well.

acting insulins & self testing meters, the risk of lows (becoming so severe)
resulting in death have been dramatically reduced.

Dream on. Intensive therapy as defined in the DCCT, multiple injections
for Type 1s with guidance a phone call away, tripled the rate of
hypoglycemic reactions. Authors of that study recently admitted in the
Wall Street Journal that they'd underestimated the risk of hypos in
practice where that guidance is not available. Here's the cite for that
article:

"Patients Who Carefully Manage Diabetes May Face Hidden Risks"    Saturday
29 8 96 By JAMES S. HIRSCH Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

>>No. Dawn phenomen occurs in Type 1's as well with the added risk  of
>>hypoglycemic reaction.

As part of the difficult balancing act of walking a narrow path.

>>Can you lose consciousness from these drugs? ER "visits" are a fact of
>>life for Type 1s.

it can yield lows that result in being "one with the floor", or worse if the
event occurs while driving.  ER visits for Type 2's include strokes.  heart
attacks, too high bg's, foot infections etc

Again, the hypoglycemic context only. I was identifying differences.

>>Danger of acute (sudden) death is more serious than a potential (?)
>>chronic risk, isn't it?

>>It's all dangerous-- sudden acute, long slow, heart attack, blindness,
>>amputation, kidney failure...... it's all serious stuff--ALL life
>>threatening. (don't personally like ANY of the above options)

 All your wonderful suggestions to
>>help
>>Type 2s  are useless for seldom
>>overweight Type 1s whose lipid profile usually appears absolutely safe.

even begin to make such generalizations.

Got carried away <g>. "...usually appears safer than those of Type 2s" is
in the spirit of significant differences between the Types.

Of course, but with advice clearly labelled when necessary. That's all
I've asked for. The 50% of us here with the autoimmune link to celiac
would like some advice and can contribute, too.

                                  Kemp