CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Spies Swinford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:16:47 EDT

Hi Steve,

I've been a Type I diabetic for 21 years, and on an insulin-pump for 18.  The
NPH regimine never worked for me, just because I had trouble with the peaking
of NPH.  I go off the pump for 2 weeks each summer, while on "vacation" in
Florida.  This year I used the new lantus insulin--which basically operates
without peaks--and I really like it.  I found it to be closest to the action
of a pump.  To answer your question, I would want to get on the long acting
insulin ASAP, so you can get used to it--you will have to count your
carbohydrates no matter what system you use, and might be easier against an
already familiar backdrop of "insulin idosyncracies."

I have been doing a gluten-free diet for only 10 days, after seeing a
dermatologist for a strange rash, which he thinks is Durhing's Disease.  I
have been reading about it, and my symptoms certainly fit into the catagory.
These gluten-free foods seem to contain lots more carbs, so I have had to
adjust my insulin doses way up.

Good luck whatever you decide.  Lisa