CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Marschilok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 21:37:35 EST

Sara,  My CD/Type 1 Diabetes son, David, who is now 16 has not been without
his insulin pump for even 1 day of the last 5 years.  It will get easier and
become more automatic.  To david it is so natural, he does not seem to count
or think about it but must because his control is very good.  I think doing
one - two post meal BG's in a 2 week period for each meal to help verify the
cho-insulin ration is helpful.  Because all the counting in the world will
help if ratio is innaprropriate for that time of day.  THe 3 am BG is so
crucial in verifying the night time basal, and a basal verification for one
time of day per week can help the new pump person keep the basal rates
straight.  I think it is the way to go for CD/Type 1's, especially active
people and kids.  I have instructed 2 others besides David, one a boy 14 yrs
old and one an adult.
        Hope you are doing well.    Katie Marschilok