CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 11:21:51 -0500

Lentils, like all the legumes, have a low glycemic index.  (That means
their carbohydrates are absorbed slowly, causing a smaller rise in blood
sugar.)  (Rick Mendosa's list shows just 37 for the index for red lentil
beans (versus 100 for white bread). Due to high protein and soluble fiber
content.  No fat and gluten free by nature.

Contamination, if any, negligible if you get the uncooked beans (due to
their size). (I've never seen a large fragment or seed of another plant in
them. For possible shredded contamination, if any, put them in water and
look on the surface. I've never seen anything.) Unlike other beans,
cooking time is short. A good carbohydrate choice at dinner and marvelous
as a filling soup at noon.

What about in flour form? Glycemic index will be higher, but given the
value for beans, this should still be a good good bet for members of this
list. Grind your own if you're into that --check out Indian cooking for
recipes or just experiment.

Commercial products made from processed lentils. Yes, contamination is
always possible so you should do the usual calling if you plan to eat
something regularly. Here's a new one taken from the celiac list--Papadini
lentil pasta. I haven't checked for contamination yet because I haven't
found any locally yet:

http://www.Adriennes.com/pasta.htm

Link there to find local dealers. You may have to ask for it so the store
in question finally orders it.

Once someone finds and tries some, do report back. See what it does to
your blood sugar.

Oh, there are good lentils available by mail order from Washington or
Idaho. The (red) Pardina are marvelous.

                                Kemp Randolph
                                Long Island