CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:05:08 EDT

Hi Ginny,
I am very new to this group, but I can relate to your problem in reverse.  I
have been diabetic for 6-7 years now, very well managed and then the roof
fell in at the beginning of this year.  I was diagnosed with microscopic
colitis which has similar symptoms of Celiac disease.  Others in a support
group I am in are gluten free because tests have shown them to be gluten
intolerant.  I am trying the gluten free lifestyle and it does seem to be
working.  My blood sugar numbers are going up, however, so as of today, my
doc has increased my meds.  I am a type II diabetic, desperately trying to
stay that way but the road is starting to get rocky.

I constantly struggle against the cravings, too.  I love chocolate, bread,
and coffee.  I gave up the bread, still struggle with the chocolate but I
won't give up my coffee.  I do eat a lot of yogurt because of meds I am on.
I will probably have to go to the low fat yogurt because of high cholesterol
problems.  I also take meds for high blood pressure, so when I am really
feeling sorry for myself, I grumble that there is nothing I can have.  No
fats, sugars, salt or breads.  Then I look around me, and there is always
someone working through something worse.  Perspective, I guess.

I don't know why the doctors cannot tell you what type of diabetic you are.
I always thought if one took insulin, that made you a type I, but maybe not.
I would be interested in how this plays out for you.  I know I am starting to
get more forceful with my docs and I also get copies of all my records.  That
way I remember what I have been on before and how it affected me.

Keep the faith, Ginny, and let me know how you are doing.
Take care,
Kathy