CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:46:12 +0000

Hello all-Sorry it took so long for me to get involved with this dicussion. First, I am type 1 diabetic (34 years insulin dependent) and I am Celiac (3+years diagnosis). I also have had minimal control over a lot of things for years that includes blood sugar levels. The good news is that we can always begin again and I am thankful that I have done so over the last year. I am part of a lifestyle change through Market America and their Transition Lifestyle Program. It is low glycemic index food choice with exercise and stress relief. It does wonders on the low glycemic but needs the other factors to really help level blood sugars. Feel free to go to my webportal www.marketamerica.com/luchini
to learn more about the program. Agave is one of the products I was introduced to by a personal chef I know and I have had good results with this although I normally don't use sweetners in beverages like coffee. This product does not crystalize and tastes similiar to honey. It also is very sweet so adding a small amount to plain yogurt with some rasberries (rasberries can be warmed in the micro before adding them) is a delicious low glycemic dessert or breakfast. Agave does well in baking also. Stevia is also another sweetner alternative I have tried (powder form) but it is extremely sweet so I caution people from adding too much (moderation is always the key anyway)  The one thing I have learned from this lifestyle (not a diet), is that keeping the blood sugar level prevents the spikes of insulin in your system and helps (with exercise) to increase the metabolism. I am over 50 now and have a bit of a slower metabolism so this has been unbelievable with helping to decrease my A1Hc
levels. It is correct that Glycemic Index can be calculated differently by some of the information sources but Dr. Sheri Lieberman wrote a book that is "Dare to Lose" and it does a good job of explaining glycemic indexing of food and the glycemic load from the combination of food. So, knowledge is power and reading as much as you can both on the internet and the library or Barnes and Noble is great! The information helps you to understand more about how food is digested and how your metablism and stress response figures in to increase weight gain causing you to gain more back after you lose. Keep in mind, a recent study I was told about showed that your brain senses sweet whether it be sugar (glucose) or asparatame or agave. It can sometimes cause problems with cravings and eating choices. So-think lots of legumes, vegetables and lean protein and extra virgin olive oil.  You need it all, (fats, proteins and carbs) for your body to use glucose in your cells for energy so choose wise
ly and healthy!  It was interesting to note that the low glycemic index choise of eating was recommended for diabetics years ago but I guess I wasn't paying attention. Also, celiac people like myself can't do high fiber wheat breads and corn and rice are high glycemic foods. I have managed to work with them in calculating foods to eat with them (glycemic load) so it has less impact on spiking my blood sugars or storing glucose as fat.  And, of course portion size with higher glycemic foods is very much part of the calculation. Good luck to each of you!