CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 07:41:08 -0500

Rosalie states:

My last blood test came out 199 in the blood sugar level.  My doctor was very
unhappy about that and made a special call to tell me to watch the carbos and
have an 1800 calorie diet until I see him in 3 mos.

Your doc may be unhappy but you are the one that has to live with this.
At least he is recognizing this problem early.

How do you manage to keep your
levels down without medicatio?  You do the best you can. Some people are
able to manage without meds. Others can't and it does not mean that you
are not disciplined it is that everyone's body responds differently.

I do not want to add another problem or
medicine to my list of other health problems.  I don't eat sugar much,
the 5 lb bag last over two yrs in my house.
I eat lots of salads and veggies.

It is great that dietarily you are ahead of the game. I also appreciate
the fact that you do not want to be on anymore meds. Usually, less meds
for people is the best.

I do eat rice pasta, chinese bean mung pasta, potatoes, yams and brown rice.
I guess the answer is to cut the carbos?

Yup, you need to cut those carbs. Pasta, potatoes, rice, etc are very
tough on blood sugars. BUT, cutting your carbs is not the only thing
to do. EXERCISE helps tremendously with your allowance of carbs. I have
the celiac disease (I am hypoglycemic). My 8 yr. old daughter has celiac
and she was diag. with insulin dependent diabetes in Jan. I watch Brit's
carbs very carefully (I have a degree in nutrition). The frustrating
thing about diabetes and blood sugars is that you can do everything
absolutely perfectly and that blood sugar can go sky high for no reason.
It has a mind of it's own.

That is going to be hard to do,
as I am always hungry afterwards when I don't have it at my supper meal.
I have about 2 slices of bread at lunch and once in a while a g/f
bagel. Would appreciate knowing what others eat to keep the blood sugar
down.

Most people eat a lot of veggies and reduce their intake of high carb
foods. Gluten-free foods are notorious for being very high carb.
Example: Some of the gluten-free bread range anywhere from 16 to 32
carbs for one slice. Brittany is allowed 45 carbs at each meal. If she
ate 2 slices of bread she would already have used up almost all of her
carbs and maybe not be full. We eat lots of low carb veggies and fruits.
We sensibly.

Do I have to starve myself?

No, you don't have to starve, but in the beginning it seems like there
is nothing to eat. You can still each these g-f foods occasionally, but
you will have to exercise (to offset the blood sugar result).

Steam your veggies, this gives them better flavor and many times I add a
touch of olive oil and seasonings (such as Italian) to add flavor. Keep
your diet very simple in the beginning. This will be boring, but will
keep you frustration level down. Eventually, you will be able to figure
out what your body can and cannot tolerate blood sugar wise. Everyone's
body is different.

Good luck and keep us posted. Also, I am sure you are feeling frustrated
with the Holidays so close. Just hang in there - they will be over soon.
Next year will be easier.

Pam