CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lyndy Latta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 03:04:13 EDT

We've found that nearly all of the gluten free baked goods (bread, bagels,
cookies, etc.) have much higher carb counts than their gluten-filled
counterparts . . . You really need to look at the nutritional labels (for
packaged foods) or calculate the carbs in a serving (for your "from scratch"
foods) for yourself -- Using the standard estimates (that they teach to those
with diabetes) for one slice of bread, one cookie, one medium bagel, just
won't work with the gluten-free items . . . also, using a digital scale and
measuring foods when you're at home helps you be much more accurate at home
and better with your estimating when you eat out.

If you're looking for GF recipes (for all kinds of things -- entres,
desserts, side dishes, etc.) that already have the carb counts
calculated, I heartily recommend any of the books by Carol Fenster --
lots of tasty GF recipes and they all come with nutritional information.
Here's a link to her web site:   <A HREF="http://www.savorypalate.com/
index.htm">Cookbooks for wheat allergies, celiac disease, gluten
intolerance, and autism</A>