CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:16:40 -0700

Well~ at least we've got some conversation going!

Kemp wrote:

>>is it less of a *real threat* if a type 2 struggles with too high bg's
>>and potential complications, than a type 1 dealing with daily insulin?

and too high bgs and potential complications. "Dead in bed" does not
happen to Type 2s.

>>>Can I get this in writing Kemp????
In fact, a dear type 2 friend died (in bed) of a sudden heart attack
(diabetes related) at age 50. Type 2's can have hypo's, heart atacks,
strokes, etc.....

Hypoglycemia is a vastly under-recorded complication
of Type 1 diabetes: autopsies more than a couple hours after death won't
show low blood sugar. Even with that under-reporting, it's documented
that
13% of Type 1s die of insulin reactions.

acting insulins & self testing meters, the risk of lows (becoming so severe)
resulting in death have been dramatically reduced.  ANYONE taking insulin
assumes this risk.

>>. 60% of type 2's wind up on insulin,

Source of that?

(1997)- it says 30 40 % of type 2's wind up on insulin.

>>and that
>>liver/glucose storage mechanism can be a curse rather than a blessing
>>when it comes to dawn phenomenon.

No. Dawn phenomen occurs in Type 1's as well with the added risk  of
hypoglycemic reaction.

>>most popular oral medication- the sulfonylurea drugs- glucotrol, glynase,
>>glipazide etc....
>>These have a notorious ability to casue lows unless you have a very
>>rigid meal schedule.

Can you lose consciousness from these drugs? ER "visits" are a fact of
life for Type 1s.

can yield lows that result in being "one with the floor", or worse if the
event occurs while driving.  ER visits for Type 2's include strokes.  heart
attacks, too high bg's, foot infections etc

Danger of acute (sudden) death is more serious than a potential (?)
chronic risk, isn't it?

>>> I already answered this fully in another post.
It's all dangerous-- sudden acute, long slow, heart attack, blindness,
amputation, kidney failure...... it's all serious stuff--ALL life
threatening. (don't personally like ANY of the above options)

Example:  The cardiac risk for Type 1s is as high as that for Type 2s, but
for completely different reasons.  Furthermore, there are no clinical trials
identifying possible causes.  All your wonderful suggestions to help Type 2s
are useless for seldom overweight Type 1s whose lipid profile usually appears
absolutely safe.

begin to make such generalizations.

Yet, autopsies of some 25 young Type 1s who died for other reasons found
significant signs of coronary artereosclerosis! High blood sugar may be
the origin but then there's that cliff...

"Take this", says the cardiologist, while admitting that he doesn't know
if it will do any good.

>>>It is one grand experiment. Let's help each other out as best we can.

~fran

mailto:[log in to unmask]

When you make a choice, you change the future~ Chopra