CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:04:14 -0400

Fran said:

>>Let's face it- the celiac diet-- or what is acceptable in the realms of
>>grains, is too high in carb for the diabetic carb restrictions. That
>>leaves low carb options as a means to keep bg's in control using diet,
>>with very limited grain intake.

Whoa, all contributing to this discussion!  First, one major fallacy,
that, whatever's its nature, there's one right or best diet for all celiac
diabetics. Those doubly diagnosed are roughly 50/50 split between Type 1
and Type 2s (unlike the general diabetic population, which is 10%/90%
respectively). The diets ain't the same. (There are many more than two
kinds of diabetes, but for diet that only matters for Type 2s).

Four separate issues when it comes to diabetic diets: total calories; mix
of carbs, protein and fat; nature of carbs; portion size control. Those
taking insulin have the extra issue of size, kind(s), and timing of
insulin doses. Unfortunately, the complaints, hence solutions, are easily
interchanged.

Portion control for diabetics is important. You eye is a
very bad judge unless you've practiced by comparing measured weight to the
appearance.  Portions of cooked rice are perhaps the worst of any food
because the appearance is so uniform. The few times I do eat rice is  at
restaurants and I always end up with portions too large. Mashed potatoes,
the same problem, whereas baked or boiled are easy to judge. No, you don't
have to always weigh carbohydrates, but depending on portion size for the
calories you need, you'd better practice weighing a while so you can
better judge without weighing.

As for the "lo-carb percentage" approach, anyone doing that had better
have a doctor that understands how to do it right so liver and kidneys are
both protected and regularly monitored.  Dr. Bernstein puts his Type 1s,
I'm told, on very "intensive treatment" --7 injections of insulin a day.
It's not a diet to do on your own, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, my Type 1 diet mix is about 60-65% carbs, 15% protein
and 20-25% fat. Fats chosen very carefully. Fats are useful for Type 1s
because they keep the blood sugar from bouncing around too quickly. A1Cs
always run within 1% of the high end of "normal". I eat very little rice,
except occasional wild rice, because it's too bland for my taste. I also
don't eat bread. Finally, I split carbs between three meals AND three
snacks, a simple way to even out blood sugar.

                                            Kemp