CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:20:22 -0700

Whenever I have experienced the joys of lactose intolerance (i.e.  bad gas
and the trots) it was usually following a hormonal change.<snip>

>>>So you have sprue & maintain a GF diet? How long GF?
How long l. i.?
Direct correlation- consume lactose- have reaction?

As for insulin resistance, it did improve when exercise became a part of the
daily diabetic regime, although I do take Metformin (Glucophage) to increase
cell sensitivity and slow glucose release from the liver.  The drug at first
bothered my g.i.  system, but that lasted for only one week.

>>> Several other people w/ sprue had endo's advise against using any of the
meds that have an effect on the digestive system because the intestine is
already compromised.

I'm in no hurry to *see* if glucophage or precose wreaks havoc with my
digestive system. I work hard to keep the sprue in check & don't want
any med that will take me back to intestinal agony. I'd almost rather go
direct to insulin use- for several reasons.
It has less "side effects" & it is adjustable.

I did have an unfortunate way of learning how well the Metformin worked for
me.  I had a terrible virus attack my g.i.  back in January and was in and
out of the Urgent Care clinic for I.V.  fluid replacement.

>>>Curious to know- did they confirm it was a viral infection somehow- or did
you actually have a reaction to the drug?

My Endo (another fantastic doc!)  saw me the next morning, and upon learning
how I came to be there got ticked at my G.P.  Apparently everyone with
diarrhea experiences some degree of lactic acidosis and the level in my
system was acceptable.  When my system healed, I started back on the drug and
the b.g.  levels returned to normal (70-120 mg/dl).  Whenever I now have
diahrhea, the Endo has me stopping the drug for the interim and I find that
my regularly tested liver functions come back with healthy reports!

can still cause intestinal problems that are not acceptable.  We have a few
folks who tried riding the wave to see if the bad gastro effects of
glucophage would subside, but never did.

One man lost 50 pounds he could not afford to lose. Others just felt the
diarrhea and gastric upset were just like having sprue & consuming
gluten. Not being able to be far from a restroom with urgent bm's. If
this goes on for a few months or more, it's time to start looking at
other meds. Have you & your medical team considered Rezulin?

The lactic acidosis/diarrhea is VERY important for anyone to know about who
uses Metformin (Glucophage).  Having this knowledge could help those using
this drug from unnecessarily being made to stop using it.  Typical protocal,
according to my Endo, is to halt intake for a six-month period and then
resume.  If this is done, then that could mean, for some, a prolonged time of
high b.g.  levels.  Talk to your doctor to learn if this is right for you!

>>I don't know if it's worth taking it... if you have to keep stopping.
Have you explored any of the other meds?

I understand all the oral meds seem to last about 5 years before they become
ineffective.  It is a good idea to have full bloodwork testing done on any
med to make sure all systems are functioning properly.

Do any of the lactose OTC things work for you like lactaid or acidophillus?

Fran