CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rosalie West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 23:41:17 EDT

I'm not sure what that term means.  I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic
for 31 years now, and although I have not been diagnosed as celiac, I do have
trouble with foods containing gluten and so I avoid them.  My use of insulin
certainly has changed over the years, but until recently, I too was using NPH
and Regular.  Then I stopped Regular and began using Humalog.  About a month
ago, I began Lantus instead of NPH with the Humalog, and I just love it.  For
many years I've had to take multiple shots every day, so this doesn't change
much in that regard.  I try to stick to 60-70 carbs a day (every person is
different in their tolerance for carbs), and that's very hard to do eating
foods that contain gluten-free flours.  I believe most of them are a lot
higher carb than wheat.  I do a lot of my own cooking, and use some brown
rice flour, soy flour (or if that's not okay, you still can get other bean
flour), amaranth flour (it's expensive but higher than wheat in protein), and
finally--very low carb--nut flour (nut meal).  Let me know if you'd like some
of my favorite recipes.  It's my experience that the lower carb I go, the
fewer extreme blood sugar swings I have.  Good luck!

Rosalie