CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:45:15 -0700

I'm going to try to share my thoughts and keep this respectful.

Yes, there are differences in the two types of diabetes.

Having to take insulin daily comes with additional stress, and a very
challenging balancing act- for both people who independently manage
their diabetes, and for parents of children who oversee the daily care
of children with diabetes. A balancing act that must constantly be
adjusted, checked, and monitored- and comes with the threat of severe
lows or additional health complications as a result of (can be) life
threatening lows, as well as the long term damage of the too high
glucose levels.

I do understand this is MAJOR. Not optional. Difficult & lifelong.
I get that. I respect that intensive additional insulin requirement &
all the variables are a burden.

I was simply shedding light that the type 2 also has this kind of
juggling act to balance.
Numbers can be all over the map (perhaps more likely to land in the ER
with TOO HIGH bg levels- but not exclusively).
The type 2 can have numbers that fluctuate for no particular reason-
sticking to a very strict diet & can have numbers that simply don't
correlate to carb intake.
The liver can dump glucose and cause morning highs- waking up with
significantly higher bg's than you went to bed with.
There are stories of doctors putting people on the most popular oral
drug- the sulfonylureas- which can cause lows, and either not even warn
them of the potential for lows, or having them "chase" lows and have to
eat to basically maintain the pills' effects.
When 60% of the type 2's take insulin, they inhert the classic
management problems of  insulin, as well as dealing with insulin
resistance, so often require larger amounts of insulin to get decent
numbers- thus getting into problems with the effects of
hyperinsulinemia, which is additionally damaging to the heart.

There was a similar thread on another diabetic support group list---
one listmate posted- please let's not get into "my diabetes is more
serious than yours" type comparisons.

Either type of diabetes pose very real health threats.
The point here is to offer support, share information.
To break down into a discussion of whose diabetes is more life
threatening is not an exercise that is going to resolve anything in
particular.

I think diabetes in general is a very serious matter, and having other
diabetics, who also must balance the additional disease of Celiac Sprue,
created this forum where we can help each other weave our way to good
health, and have some understanding companionship to not have to "go it
alone".

I hope this post is taken in the spirit in which it is written.
I know each of us has unique challenges to deal with, and respect
everyone's particular circumstances will vary, and am not here to judge.

I hope we can get on with the matter of support & info sharing.

~fran