CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Bittner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Bittner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 04:12:51 -0800

I have two daughters in elementary school who have celiac. My oldest was diagnosed in the middle of first grade and at the same time her sister was diagnosed while in preschool. I disagree about not telling the principal, etc. Our school principal has been amazing. He set up the 504 plan for my oldest (and my younger daughter when the time came). He held a meeting with the entire staff and I spoke at it explaining to the staff exactly what celiac was and what I needed them to do. The other students were not told and the teachers and staff have been amazing about keeping it private because my daughters are very sensitve about being different. However, you can try all you want, but the other kids will know. It only takes one time for your child to have to refuse that cookie that everyone else is having and guess what, the entire school knows. What about not buying lunch? Every kid buys lunch at least sometimes, but when your child doesn't - ever, they all
 know there is something they can't eat. There are many things that you wouldn't even think of that occur in the schools. First, kids share snacks all the time and kids reach over and touch other kids' food all the time. The teachers, playground assistants and cafeteria staff need to be on the look out for this. They don't always wipe the lunch tables between grades, but they do for me for the table that my girls sit at. There is food everyone at schools. Every single party, every olympic day, classroom activities, lollipop treats as rewards for doing well on a math test, family nights, etc. If people don't know your child has to eat something different, he/she will be left out and that is not a good feeling. If they know, they will provide some alternative for him/her. I bake for all of my daughters parties and the other kids love the stuff I make. I supply the teachers with a small bag of "emergency snacks" to keep in their desks. When a parent comes
 in to celebrate their child's birthday, the teacher will pull something from that bag and my daughter can still celebrate with her friends. I also met with the head of our cafeteria and picked out many snacks that my kids can buy ala carte. They have juice, water, milk, chips, popcorn and many types of ice creams that my kids can buy. The cafeteria staff has a list so if my daughters choose something else by mistake they can stop her. By having open communication, you can help your child to lead more of normal life with their friends and help to educate the community as well. The education we have, the more you will see "Gluten Free" when shopping or dining. When my kids go to their closest friends houses, the parents know what they can eat and no one feels weird about it. Just one more note, a friend of mine just came back from visiting Austrailia. She said there was gluten free everything everywhere. From every restaurant, every airport kiosk, just
 everywhere. If we keep our "disease" to ourselves, we will never get to that point. Maybe the people who want to keep it private are trying to protect their kids from embarrasment, but I have celiac too. I want to see the day, when my daughters & I can waltz into any restaurant and have a meal without fear of being confined to a bathroom for 2 days after.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the Cel-Kids List *