CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dianna Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:45:58 -0500

Hi-My name is Dianna. I am a new member and my 23 month old son, Erik, has
CD. He's been gluten free for almost 4 months now and is doing very well on
the diet. I was wondering if anyone has any clear information on the
connection between CD and the autistic spectrum, or even what that means?
I've searched the internet about both CD and autism and besides the GFCF
diet for autists, I can't see the link. I've wondered about his behavior,
most of which seems to be resolving as a result of feeling better and
gaining his weight and strength back. He had regressed socially and with
his language development. Some of this could be due to a new sibling at the
time of diagnosis. Since he's felt better, I have him in speech therapy
(through EIP) and he's in a good preschool 2 days a week.  He seems to be
thriving with these measures, and improving quickly, but he doesn't make a
lot of eye contact. My sense is that he's okay, maybe just selective about
who he responds to, but I want to be sure. I'd like to stop worrying and
get on with our (gluten-free)lives. Any ideas or similar experiences? Thank
you for your attention. Dianna