CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heather Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 12:59:35 EDT

Hi. I am new to the list. My now 1 year old daughter (just yesterday she
turned 1) has had blood work for celiac. The initial testing turned up
negative. The pediatrician had us go for two tests they say are "definitive
100%." But I have spoken with many other moms who say that testing is not
always accurate before age 2, especially where she has only been getting
solids for about 4 months now.
We are frustrated, because we were told to take her off wheat the day the
original tests were run, and we did. Now we learn we shouldn't have. But we
see a drastic improvement. And for a child losing over 2 pounds in 4 months,
the slight weight gain of 2 ounces in one week was a huge encouragement to
us. We also are frustrated, because when they draw blood, it is a difficult
thing. It took 4 sticks yesterday to get barely enough blood to run these new
tests. She is bruised in both arms, and the backs of both hands. And the
blood clumps during the testing. So we may have to do it again.
Please, any of you that have dealt with the frustration of young testing,
contact me. We have pretty much already decided that due to the improvements
we've seen, we will not be adding wheat back to her diet. And we want to have
her sisters tested, due to some conditions we were told they have and some of
the problems we have seen in the last 5 years. I am just frustrated after 5
years of being told we don't know anything because we aren't doctors. And of
little/no/or bad information.

Thank you.
Heather Sutton in Cheyenne, WY
helpmate to Gregg, Mommom to Jeannette, Maureen, HannahClaire, Trystan, 13 in
Heaven and step-Mom to April
http://www.geocities.com/mommombug/index.html