CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Caroline Eclipse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:41:00 -0500

Thanks for all the replies!  I got lots of suggestions for typical kid
food (spaghetti, pizza, chicken strips, etc).  Here are the some tips
and other food suggestions that people sent in:

1.      Kids like finger food . . . cut it up
This worked like a charm.  I took some homemade GF chicken strips and
sliced them up.  She had turned her nose up those same strips just a few
days earlier when I served them whole.  I also bought some frozen
crinkle cut carrots and cooked those up with a dab of butter and a pinch
of sugar.  She speared a bunch of them on her fork and counted down as
she ate them.

2,      Cut sandwiches into shapes with cookie cutters

3.      For kids who can handle them, serve cut up fruit on skewers.  Or
freeze the skewers and pack them in a lunch to go.  They thaw quickly.

4.      Chip sandwiches - place a roll of GF turkey between chips.

5.      Pastariso Macariz is popular (the Gluten Free Pantry carries it).

6.      Oscar Meyer hot dogs - (my local support group has recently
verified that the all beef hot dogs are GF)

7.      Pamela's chocolate brownie mix

8.      Apple chips

9.      Fruit roll ups

10.     Nachos using corn tortillas and gf refried beans and cheese

11.     Frozen waffles by Vans and Waffle Heaven

12.     Bette Hagman's recipe for salem crumpets used as sandwich bread

13.     Bette's recipe for filled buns that are sort of like Dim Sum (I
think this is in the "Fast And Healthy" book)

14.     Polenta (made from corn meal).  Look in an Italian cookbook.
Cool, slice and layer it for casseroles, etc.

15.     Steamed shrimp

16.     Look in a web site (Club Celiac) for children at
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Glade/2715/

And here are a couple of my own suggestions:

1.      Fried rice with gf tamari sauce.
This is one of the few things she'll always eat and it's quick to fix
especially if you have leftover rice from another meal.  I'd don't have
a real recipe for this.   If you need something more exact, most
cookbooks have one.  Otherwise, just scramble a egg or two, add a little
oil to the pan and toss in some cooked peas and carrots and any leftover
chopped meat you want to include.   Stir in a about 2 cups of cold
cooked rice.  Season with salt, pepper, garlic, ginger or whatever
seasoning you like.  Add some GF tamari to moisten the rice.  Heat up
the mixture, stirring occasionally and serve.

2.      Use a little psychology.
It works pretty well with my daughter (who is 4) for a number of things.
She often wants things just because she can't have them.  So for meal
time,  I tried making up a plate for her  and arranging it to look
appetizing with fruit for garnish.  As I put it all together I tell her
how good the food looked and how I can't wait to eat it.  Or I just put
the plate at my place setting instead of hers.  That usually sets her
off and she usually says something like "Mamma, that's MY food.  It
doesn't have wheat!   You get your own food."  When she takes her first
bite, I make a big deal about how I wish that was my meal.  It works
often, but not every time.  And my luck on it may run out soon.   But I
figure that at least for a few meals she can get some variety in her
diet.

Good luck!