CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:59:55 -0500

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  42 responses and counting so
far.  Universally, all people (adults and kids) are getting more
sensitive the longer they have been GF, so her experience is
definitely typical.  Some get extremely severe reactions and some
still only have mild reactions, but more than before they got an
actual diagnosis.

Also universal recommendation to keep condiments separate, which we
will do.  We have been keeping the toaster separate and we just bought
another butter dish, and will identify her peanut butter.

Me & my other daughter both had a blood test last year, which was
negative for CD, but we'll continue to monitor for symptoms.  My CD
daughter's last blood test was in July and the GI was really happy
with the numbers.  I think he recommends annual blood test, unless we
start to notice something.

Some things that can exacerbate gluten reactions are increased stress
or hormones associated with monthly cycles and respiratory illness or
viruses.

Some reminders to check medications to be GF and shared fryers at
restaurants and colanders/strainers.  A suggestion that she could be
having secondary reactions and developing other food allergies/
intolerances.  She could also be having a psychosomatic reaction to
our reacting so strongly to her holding a cracker or touching the
wheat pasta.

Pepto bismal and bentonite clay were recommended to minimize reaction
after accidental gluten ingestion.

Thanks a lot for the responses.  I was afraid that I was over-reacting
and she wasn't having a gluten reaction.  Now I'm convinced that she
is and we'll take steps.

Thanks,
Chris

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *